Welcome

Thanks for coming to the "KlopKitchen". I hope you find some recipes that you and/or your family will enjoy. I love to cook and am always trying new recipes. So I decided to blog my favorites as I come across them. I hope you enjoy them.

Please feel free to make comments about any recipes (suggestions, add ins, changes, etc....)you try.

Oh, and one more thing....I have tried all the recipes on this blog and only put ones that I really like on it. Thanks!


Abby

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Beef Stew

If I make stew...this is what I make 99.9% of the time! I love that you serve it over mashed potatoes instead of adding cubes of potatoes into the stew. I hope you enjoy it too!

Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 1/2 cups halved mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
2 cups diagonally cut carrot
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 1/2 cups sliced celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Add mushrooms and next 4 ingredients (mushrooms through garlic) to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return beef to pan. Stir in water and next 6 ingredients (water through bay leaves); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Stir in olives, and cook for 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaves. Stir in vinegar. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve over mashed potatoes ( I make my favorite buttermilk mashed potatoes....I will try and get recipe up soon).

No comments: