Welcome

Thanks for coming to the "KlopKitchen". I hope you find some recipes that you and/or your family will enjoy. I love to cook and am always trying new recipes. So I decided to blog my favorites as I come across them. I hope you enjoy them.

Please feel free to make comments about any recipes (suggestions, add ins, changes, etc....)you try.

Oh, and one more thing....I have tried all the recipes on this blog and only put ones that I really like on it. Thanks!


Abby

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hearty Lentil Soup with Spinach

I used French lentils but you could use brown, black, or reg. green lentils. Cooking times will vary with different lentils.
Love this soup...I froze it in small containers that lasted me lunches all winter:)
The bacon really made a great flavor...

3 slices bacon (3oz) cut into 1/4-inch
1 large onion, chopped fine
2 med. carrots, peeled and chopped medium
3 med. cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
1 c. lentils (7oz), rinsed and picked over
1 tsp. table salt
ground black pepper
1/2 c dry white wine
4 1/2 c chicken broth
1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
5 oz. baby spinach

Fry bacon in large stockpot over med-hi heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp, 3-4 min. Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionall, until veg. begin to soften, about 2 min. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 30 sec. Stir in lentils, salt, and pepper to taste; cover, reduce heat to med0low, and cook until veg. are softened and lentils have darkened, 8-10 min. Uncover, increase heat to high, add wine and bring to simmer. Add chicken broth and water, bring to boil, cover partially, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are tender but still hold their shape, 30-35 min; discard bay leaf.

Puree 3 c. soup in blender until smooth, then return to pot; stir in vinegar and heat soup over med-low until hot, about 5 min. Stir in spinach and contime to heat soup, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted, about 3 min, serve.

No comments: