Welcome

Thanks for coming to the "KlopKitchen". I hope you find some recipes that you and/or your family will enjoy. I love to cook and am always trying new recipes. So I decided to blog my favorites as I come across them. I hope you enjoy them.

Please feel free to make comments about any recipes (suggestions, add ins, changes, etc....)you try.

Oh, and one more thing....I have tried all the recipes on this blog and only put ones that I really like on it. Thanks!


Abby

Friday, June 6, 2008

Flour Tortillas

So, you might not jump at the chance to make this recipe, unless you love to cook, like me. But they really are THE best tortillas ever. So much better than the store bought ones, which now taste like cardboard thanks to this recipe.


Source: Fine Cooking 6/2006

Serves: 8
2 c. flour
1 t table salt
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 c cold shortening, cut into small pieces
2/3 c warm water

Mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Add shortening with pastry blender until coarse meal size. Stir in 2/3 c warm water with fork until shaggy dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and soft, 3-4 min. Dough will not be sticky. Portion into eight equal pieces (2oz) and cover loosely with plastic and let rest on counter 30 min and up to 2 hours. Heat large dry cast iron skillet until hot. Roll one out at a time on floured surface until so thin that you can vaguely see through it. Peel off couter and lay on skillet and cook until bubble and puffs and browns in spots, 45-60 seconds. Flip and cook another 45-60 seconds. Repeat with remaining dough, stacking and covering each tortilla as it’s cooked.

No comments: