Welcome

Thanks for coming to the "KlopKitchen". I hope you find some recipes that you and/or your family will enjoy. I love to cook and am always trying new recipes. So I decided to blog my favorites as I come across them. I hope you enjoy them.

Please feel free to make comments about any recipes (suggestions, add ins, changes, etc....)you try.

Oh, and one more thing....I have tried all the recipes on this blog and only put ones that I really like on it. Thanks!


Abby

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cream of "Anything" Soup Mix

I have been trying not to by Cream of Chicken soups, a previous staple in my pantry. It's just really not that healthy, yet it makes a great base for casseroles. I love to take left over meat, left over veggies, add noodles, a little sour cream, a cream of something soup and then season bake and maybe add a little cheese and some sort of crumb on top (panko, breadcrumbs, leftover potato chips, or even gold fish crackers crumbled).

Anyway, I found this recipe and tweeked it (of course) and I used it tonight to make tuna noodle casserole and discovered that this recipe is a keeper and I don't have to buy the cream of something soups:)
MINIMAL FAT.....NO SODIUM....
Cream Soup Mix

2 c. instant nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c chicken bouilon granules
2 T Onion Onion (that's Tastefully Simple) you could use minced onion I supposed...or call me:)
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried basil
1/4 t pepper

Combine all ingredients; mix well. Store in an airtight container. Makes 3 cups dry mix.

For a condensed cream soup substitute:
Blend 1/3 c mix and 1 1/4 c water in a small saucepan or micro safe dish until smooth. Bring to a boil or micro for 2 1/2 to 3 min. Stir occasionally; cool. Use as a substitue for 1 (10.75oz) can of condensed cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup.

1 comment:

David & Jenna said...

Sounds yummy Abby! I'm going to try it tonight with the chicken paprikash I make. I love recipes, this blog is great! :)